Thursday, July 25, 2013

Loving-Kindness

Greetings to you all!
   Loving-kindness benefits both parties. The giver and the receiver. Many times I think the giver is even more blessed than the one receiving the love. My mom is a diabetic that recently had to have her toe taken off and she has had issues with depression. As soon as she was able to get back on her feet the dr. suggested volunteering at the hospital. This made me think of the loving-kindness. It feels good to help someone out.
     My experience with the loving-kindness mp3 was not for me. I got tired of it really fast. Whenever I think of my loved ones that are having difficulties, I pray for them. God is still in the miracle-working business and it has nothing to do with me. All of our actions and words should be based on love. Our heart should respond to all situations with loving-kindness. I don't think that I would recommend it to anyone because I think they would get bored really fast and I don't believe that this method is beneficial.
     A mental workout entails making a conscious effort to turn our minds towards human flourishing. Everyday we have a choice regarding thinking positive or negative. Things that we dwell on such as loving-kindness become second nature. This is true in so many ways. The thoughts that a person has will eventually come out unless we focus our minds and retrain them. Mental workouts are great for relaxation and for us to become aware of and practice the mind's capabilities. My personal experience that works for me is to pray. This does involve loving-kindness because that is what God entails and therefore all my choices should have the basis of love.
    Sincerely,
       ~Julia

7 comments:

  1. H Julia, Prayer is my mental workout too. Prayer helps to keep negativity at bay. I enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Loving Kindness Mp3 did not work for me either especially towards the end. In the beginning it was ok but then I started drifting and thinking about things I needed to do. I'm in agreement with prayer...it works. It is the one thing that my grandmother and mother totally believed in. They both were prayer warriors. I would recommend the loving kindness mp3 to someone else and let them make the decision as to whether it's for them or not. What does not work for one may work for another. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia, I enjoyed your post. Prayer is definitely a great addition to any mental workout. I find it so helpful in my everyday life and especially when life gets difficult for myself or people I love. I also agree that the greatest form of loving kindness is giving to others. To me there is no greater joy than making someone smile or feel loved when going through a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ladies,
    Thanks for responding! I know that I would be a sorry case if it was not for prayer. Even though I wanted to try to deny God in the end it didn't work. It confirms my belief in the spiritual realm and prayer warriors. All it is on our part is believing in agreement with the other person that it is done. Have yourself a fabulous day! ~Julia:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julian, I really enjoyed your post, and thank you for sharing about your mom. Many people go through periods of depression after a serious procedure, I really feel for her. What you mentioned, is something that was said on the mp3, that loving kindness "diminishes self-centeredness". When we help others, we are acting from love, not from selfish thinking (ego). Prayer is definitely a way to perform loving kindness: praying for others, even those that we may not be feeling so positively about, at times. Thanks for your thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, I meant Julia, not Julian (my son is Julian) :-/

      Delete
    2. Hey Julia,

      I agree with your statement that god is in the miracle making business because he has made many miracles in my life. thank you

      Delete