Friday, August 2, 2013

The Key Role of Thought in Wellness and Healing

Hello to all of you!
     I enjoyed doing the subtle mind exercise over the loving-kindness exercise. The loving-kindness exercise seemed like I was dwelling on other peoples problems and it loaded me down with burdens. I choose to extend loving-kindness to people by praying for them not meditating on their circumstances that I cannot change anyhow. I enjoyed doing the subtle mind exercise because it was about your breathing technique. It just cleared your mind and created a new slate to start fresh on. The slower and more rhythymic you breathe the less your mind wanders and the more relaxed I became.
     The spiritual wellness is connected to the mental and physical wellness because you can talk yourself into feeling sick. I find it interesting that in the other course that I am currently taking we are discussing what happens when our body goes into starvation mode. The most important part of our body that our body takes care of is our brain. All the essential nutrients are first taken to the brain. It seems to me that this would indicate the strength of our mind regarding our health as a whole. I know that spiritual wellness directly impacts the other two because I rely on the the fact of who I am in Christ and then this outlook correlates with my health. I cannot remember the last time that I was sick and feeling down or depressed. I am grateful for everything that I have and realize that the most important of all is friends and family.

See you next time! ~Julia:)

4 comments:

  1. Julia, I enjoyed your post and reading about your experiences this week. I have been practicing the "loving kindness" exercise and for some reason find it easy to stay engaged throughout the mediation. I do agree with you about the power of prayer. My experience with the meditation actually found myself reverting to prayer for healing. I found it interesting how concentrating on your breath can clear the mind and with a little focus, you can actually witness your thoughts rather than get lost in the chatter. I'm looking forward to practicing this more. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia,

    I enjoyed this exercise more, also! You put it well, that it is like creating a clean slate in your mind. I felt the same way. Our minds do take in so much information, and material that is exposed to us by the media: internet, television, radio. When we can find that calm state of the subtle mind, we definitely get to slow down a bit. I think that this exercise will help when we are really overloaded by situations, or stress (or school, lol!).
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia,

    I also enjoyed the subtle mind exercise and will be using it frequently from now on. I had been fighting a migraine headache all that day but after conducting this meditation my headache was completely gone and I felt wonderful! I was really able to connect and stay focused and most of all relax and still my mind. Unlike the loving kindness exercise where I could not stay focused or make any kind of connection. Maybe I need to practice more? Don't you find it interesting how everyone has a different experience with these meditations? Thanks for pointing out that the most important part of our body that our body takes care of is the brain. That is fascinating!

    Thanks for sharing what you learned and your experience with me this week. I look forward to reading more from you.

    ~Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julia,

    I had the same experience that I also enjoyed this week's exercise. I liked focusing on my breathing so much more than things people had done to hurt me. Last week I was just angry after the exercise and I know that was not the intent, but I just don't see how that helps if I have already forgiven the person and moved on. I too would rather pray and practice forgiveness. I suppose focusing love on someone who has hurt us is the same in a sense, but I really enjoyed slowing down and doing the breathing exercise. It was very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete